Wednesday, September 17, 2008

How about a feature?

After being featured on a couple of other blogs I thought it might be fun to feature another etsy seller weekly on mine! Today I'd like to introduce Quiltish by Allisa Jacobs!




What is your etsy name and how did you come up with it?
My Etsy name is allisajacobs though my shop is 'quiltish,' a name born out of my quilting traditions & tendency to add '-ish' to the ends of most words


What is the medium you prefer to work with?
Fabric, fabric, fabric. I am obsessed with fabric. I really enjoy bright cotton prints and am getting into different textures & types.


What other kinds of art have you explored?
Does popsicle stick dollhouse furniture count? That was my gig in 2nd grade. Since then I've explored watercolor, collage, woodworking, embroidery, and crochet.


How long have you been doing what you do/how long on etsy?
I've been sewing for ages. Ever since my first pillowcase in elementary school. I took a hiatus from that after breaking my mom's sewing machine but began designing & creating handbags almost 3 years ago. I only discovered Etsy a few months back and am kicking myself for not joining sooner.



If you have a day job -what do you do?
My day and night job is being a mama to 8 month old baby Jack. Before motherhood I was a special education teacher.


Everyone likes to know about other’s workspaces-tell us about yours.
Well, my workspace was the nursery, but then Jack came. Now, I'm fortunate enough to have a husband who doesn't mind (at least out loud) that I've taken over half of the house. Someday soon I'm hoping to have my own studio in back of our house.


Any certain challenges you’ve encountered with your artwork?Only that I have millions of ideas but am limited to whenever Jack naps.


What’s your favorite part about what you do? I love the fact that my designs will end up in another part of the world, whether it's just across town or across a few oceans. Plus, I am so thankful that it allows me to stay at home with my son, that's got to be the best.

(*aren't these cowboy washclothes adorable?)



Where else can your work be seen besides etsy?
We're just starting to branch out into the world of shops & boutiques. Quiltish can be found at The Fig Tree in Chicago, soon at Milagros in Portland, Oregon...and a few other spots we've got our eyes on. Folks can also keep an eye on the quiltish journey at quiltish.blogspot.com.

You can visit this shop at www.allisajacobs.etsy.com

No comments: